NDA & NA (II) 2017 Exam & SSB: All you need to know to clear the Exam
The article contains an easy to understand seven step guide to success in the upcoming NDA & NA (II) Exam 2017. For the benefit aspirants, it contains all the study material and practice questions related to the General Ability Test, GK and Mathematics. It also contains tips and strategies to crack SSB Interview.
The NDA & NA (II) 2017 will be conducted by the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) on 10 September 2017. After the written exam, the successful candidates will be called for the Interview by the Service Selection Board (SSB). The NDA preparation involves various dimensions. Going through the study material available is not enough. To achieve success, the aspirants should also go through the previous question papers to understand the standard of the question papers and distribution of questions among various sections and sub-sections of the syllabus given. Besides, going the previous question papers also help the aspirants in changing the nature of the questions over the years.
After going through the question papers, the aspirants should look for the most relevant study material as per the syllabus given and the standard of questions asked in previous question papers. The relevant study material along with section wise practice tests help the aspirants in building the confidence levels.
The aspirants must also solve the mock test papers that are prepared by experts within the prescribed time limit. To clear the exam with less effort, the aspirants must know the appropriate and proven tips and strategies. The strategies help the aspirants in streamlining the preparation and reducing the chances of failures.
For the benefit of NDA & NA (II) Exam 2017 aspirants is providing all the details related to the exam – pattern of the exam, syllabus, previous question papers, study material, practice tests and tips and strategies to crack the written exam and the SSB Intervie.
To keep things simple, we arranged all the information in an easy to understand 7-step guide. We keep updating this page as and when we add new content. So, keep visiting this page on a regular page. We hope, this content will help the aspirants in their preparation of the UPSC NDA & NA (II) Exam 2017.
NDA & NA (II) Exam 2017 Notification Details
Number of Vacanncies – (Total 390 Posts)
NDA – 335 Posts (208 Army, 55 Navy and 72 Air Force)
Naval Academy (10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme) -55 Posts
Examination Date: 10 September 2017
Last Date of Online Application: 30 June 2017.
Eligibility Criteria -
Army Wing of National Defence Academy: 12th Class pass of the 10+2 pattern of School Education or equivalent examination conducted by a State Education Board or a University.
Air Force and Naval Wings of National Defence Academy and for the 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme at the Indian Naval Academy : 12th Class pass of the 10+2 pattern of School Education or equivalent with Physics and Mathematics conducted by a State Education Board or a University.
Step 1: Know the Selection Process
Candidates will be selected on the basis of their performance in the examination and Interview/Personality Test. The written examination consists of two papers –
- General Knowledge
Scheme of Examination
The subjects of the written examination, the time allowed and the maximum marks allotted to each subject will be as follows —
General Ability Test
The papers in all the subjects will consist of objective type questions only. The question papers (test booklets) of mathematics and part “b” of general ability test will be set bilingually in hindi as well as english.
How to apply for the NDA Exam
Eligible candidates can apply through the official website (upsconline.nic.in). The last date for application is 30 June 2017 (6 PM).
Step 2: Know the Syllabus of NDA & NA Exam
1. ALGEBRA: Concept of set, operations on sets, Venn diagrams. De Morgan laws, Cartesian product, relation, equivalence relation. Representation of real numbers on a line. Complex numbers—basic properties, modulus, argument, cube roots of unity. Binary system of numbers. Conversion of a number in decimal system to binary system and vice-versa. Arithmetic, Geometric and Harmonic progressions. Quadratic 17 equations with real coefficients. Solution of linear inequations of two variables by graphs. Permutation and Combination. Binomial theorem and its applications. Logarithms and their applications.
2. MATRICES AND DETERMINANTS : Types of matrices, operations on matrices. Determinant of a matrix, basic properties of determinants. Adjoint and inverse of a square matrix, Applications-Solution of a system of linear equations in two or three unknowns by Cramer’s rule and by Matrix Method.
3. TRIGONOMETRY : Angles and their measures in degrees and in radians. Trigonometrical ratios. Trigonometric identities Sum and difference formulae. Multiple and Sub-multiple angles. Inverse trigonometric functions. Applications-Height and distance, properties of triangles.
4. ANALYTICAL GEOMETRY OF TWO AND THREE DIMENSIONS: Rectangular Cartesian Coordinate system. Distance formula. Equation of a line in various forms. Angle between two lines. Distance of a point from a line. Equation of a circle in standard and in general form. Standard forms of parabola, ellipse and hyperbola. Eccentricity and axis of a conic. Point in a three dimensional space, distance between two points. Direction Cosines and direction ratios. Equation two points. Direction Cosines and direction ratios. Equation of a plane and a line in various forms. Angle between two lines and angle between two planes. Equation of a sphere.
5. DIFFERENTIAL CALCULUS : Concept of a real valued function–domain, range and graph of a function. Composite functions, one to one, onto and inverse functions. Notion of limit, Standard limits—examples. Continuity of functions—examples, algebraic operations on continuous functions. Derivative of function at a point, geometrical and physical interpretation of a derivative—applications. Derivatives of sum, product and quotient of functions, derivative of a function with respect to another function, derivative of a composite function. Second order derivatives. Increasing and decreasing functions. Application of derivatives in problems of maxima and minima.
6. INTEGRAL CALCULUS AND DIFFERENTIAL EQUATIONS : Integration as inverse of differentiation, integration by substitution and by parts, standard integrals involving algebraic expressions, trigonometric, exponential and hyperbolic functions. Evaluation of definite integrals—determination of areas of plane regions bounded by curves— applications. Definition of order and degree of a differential equation, formation of a differential equation by examples. General and particular solution of a differential equations, solution of first order and first degree differential equations of various types—examples. Application in problems of growth and decay.
7. VECTOR ALGEBRA : Vectors in two and three dimensions, magnitude and direction of a vector. Unit and null vectors, addition of vectors, scalar multiplication of a vector, scalar product or dot product of two vectors. Vector product or cross product of two vectors. Applications—work done by a force and moment of a force and in geometrical problems.
8. STATISTICS AND PROBABILITY : Statistics : Classification of data, Frequency distribution, cumulative frequency distribution—examples. Graphical representation—Histogram, Pie Chart, frequency polygon—examples. Measures of Central tendency—Mean, median and mode. Variance and standard deviation—determination and comparison. Correlation and regression.
9. Probability : Random experiment, outcomes and associated sample space, events, mutually exclusive and exhaustive events, impossible and certain events. Union and Intersection of events. Complementary, elementary and composite events. Definition of probability—classical and statistical— examples. Elementary theorems on probability—simple problems. Conditional probability, Bayes’ theorem—simple problems. Random variable as function on a sample space. Binomial distribution, examples of random experiments giving rise to Binominal distribution.
PAPER-II GENERAL ABILITY TEST
Part ‘A’—ENGLISH (Maximum Marks—200)
The question paper in English will be designed to test the candidate’s understanding of English and workman like use of words. The syllabus covers various aspects like : Grammar and usage, vocabulary, comprehension and cohesion in extended text to test the candidate’s proficiency in English.
For Practice Questions, click on the below given links.
English Practice Questions – Antonyms 01
English Practice Questions – Antonyms 02
English Practice Questions – Antonyms 03
English Practice Questions - Comprehension Test
English Practice Questions - Fill in the Blanks
English Practice Questions – Sentence Improvement 01
Part ‘B’—GENERAL KNOWLEDGE (Maximum Marks—400) The question paper on General Knowledge will broadly cover the subjects : Physics, Chemistry, General Science, Social Studies, Geography and Current Events. –
The syllabus given below is designed to indicate the scope of these subjects included in this paper. The topics mentioned are not to be regarded as exhaustive and questions on topics of similar nature not specifically mentioned in the syllabus may also be asked.
Candidate’s answers are expected to show their knowledge and intelligent understanding of the subject.
Section ‘A’ (Physics)
Physical Properties and States of Matter, Mass, Weight, Volume, Density and Specific Gravity, Principle of Archimedes, Pressure Barometer. Motion of objects, Velocity and Acceleration, Newton’s Laws of Motion, Force and Momentum, Parallelogram of Forces, Stability and Equilibrium of bodies, Gravitation, elementary ideas of work, Power and Energy. Effects of Heat, Measurement of Temperature and Heat, change of State and Latent Heat, Modes of transference of Heat. Sound waves and their properties, Simple musical instruments. Rectilinear propagation of Light, Reflection and refraction. Spherical mirrors and Lenses, Human Eye. Natural and Artificial Magnets, Properties of a Magnet, Earth as a Magnet. Static and Current Electricity, conductors and Non-conductors, Ohm’s Law, Simple Electrical Circuits, Heating, Lighting and Magnetic effects of Current, Measurement of Electrical Power, Primary and Secondary Cells, Use of X-Rays. General Principles in the working of the following: Simple Pendulum, Simple Pulleys, Siphon, Levers, Balloon, Pumps, Hydrometer, Pressure Cooker, Thermos Flask, Gramophone, Telegraphs, Telephone, Periscope, Telescope, Microscope, Mariner’s Compass; Lightening Conductors, Safety Fuses.
For practice questions, click on the below given links.
The Physics Set 01 contains questions on reflection, atmospheric pressure and electricity among others.
The Physics Set 02 contains questions on temperature, electricity and physical properties and states of matter among others.
The Physics Set 03 contains questions on important topics like electricity, heat and temperature and light among others.
Section ‘B’ (Chemistry)
Physical and Chemical changes. Elements, Mixtures and Compounds, Symbols, Formulae and simple Chemical Equations, Law of Chemical Combination (excluding problems). Properties of Air and Water. Preparation and Properties of Hydrogen, Oxygen, Nitrogen and Carbondioxide, Oxidation and Reduction. Acids, bases and salts. Carbon— different forms. Fertilizers—Natural and Artificial. Material used in the preparation of substances like Soap, Glass, Ink, Paper, Cement, Paints, Safety Matches and Gun-Powder. Elementary ideas about the structure of Atom, Atomic Equivalent and Molecular Weights, Valency.
Section ‘C’ (General Science)
Difference between the living and non-living. Basis of Life—Cells, Protoplasms and Tissues. Growth and Reproduction in Plants and Animals. Elementary knowledge of Human Body and its important organs. Common Epidemics, their causes and prevention. Food—Source of Energy for man. Constituents of food, Balanced Diet. The Solar System—Meteors and Comets, Eclipses. Achievements of Eminent Scientists.
For practice Questions on the above topics, click on the below given links.
The set 01 contains questions on frequently asked questions on diseases, digestive system and plant biolgy. For set 01, click on the below link.
The set 02 contains questions on diseases including that are transmitted by virus and bacterial. From the examination point of view, these questions are important as every year, at least one-two questions are asked.
The set 03 contains questions on important aspects like cell biology including DNA and RNA.
The set 04 questions on photosynethises, agriculture biology among others. They will help the aspirants in the NDA & NA (II) 2017 Exam.
Section ‘D’ (History, Freedom Movement etc.)
A broad survey of Indian History, with emphasis on Culture and Civilisation. Freedom Movement in India. Elementary study of Indian Constitution and Administration. Elementary knowledge of Five Year Plans of India. Panchayati Raj, Co-operatives and Community Development. Bhoodan, Sarvodaya, National Integration and Welfare State, Basic Teachings of Mahatma Gandhi. Forces shaping the modern world; Renaissance, Exploration and Discovery; War of American Independence. French Revolution, Industrial Revolution and Russian Revolution. Impact of Science and Technology on Society. Concept of one World, United Nations, Panchsheel, Democracy, Socialism and Communism. Role of India in the present world.
Indian History Practice Questions
The set 01 covers questions on Mughal Emperors of Medieval India. Questions are on their conquests and administration among others.
This set contains questions on modern India especially freedom movement. The important topics covered in this set are – Quit India Movement, Civil Disobediance Movement and important personalities who shaped Indian freedom struggle.
This set contains questions on Bardoli Satyagraha, Colonial Administration and 1857 Revolt among others.
Indian Polity Practice Questions
The Set 01 on Indian Polity contains questions on important aspects of the Constitution like the Eleciton Commission, fundamental rights and Amendments to the Constitution among others.
This set contains questions on important offices mentioned in the Constitution like President of India, Comprtorller General of India and Lok Sabha Speaker among others.
Practice Questions related to Indian Defense Management
The following 20 questions on Defence Management covers important areas like missiles, joint defence exercises, gallantry awards among others.
Current Affairs Practice Questions
The following questions on Current Affaris cover the period starting from April 2017. Questions are prepared taking into account the previous questions in the NDA Exams.
The below given questions were asked in the NDA & NA (I) 2017 Exam. Answers along with detailed explanation is also given for the benefit of aspirants.
Section ‘E’ (Geography)
The Earth, its shape and size. Lattitudes and Longitudes, Concept of time. International Date Line. Movements of Earth and their effects. Origin of Earth. Rocks and their classification; Weathering—Mechanical and Chemical, Earthquakes and Volcanoes. Ocean Currents and Tides Atmosphere and its composition; Temperature and Atmospheric Pressure, Planetary Winds, Cyclones and Anti-cyclones; Humidity; Condensation and Precipitation; Types of Climate, Major Natural regions of the World. Regional Geography of India—Climate, Natural vegetation. Mineral and Power resources; location and distribution of agricultural and Industrial activities. Important Sea ports and main sea, land and air routes of India. Main items of Imports and Exports of India. Section ‘F’ (Current Events) Knowledge of Important events that have happened in India in the recent years. Current important world events. Prominent personalities—both Indian and International including those connected with cultural activities and sports.
Geography Practice Questions
The following set contains questions on economic geography like resource distribution and industries. Besides it also contains questions on Drainage System.
The Geography Set 02 contains questions on physical geography like wind patterns across the globe and climate. Besides it also contains questions on passes and mountain ranges in India.
The below given set contains questions on solar system, Drainage System and protected areas in India among othes.
SSB Interview Process
The SSB procedure consists of two stage Selection process - stage I and stage II.
Only those candidates who clear the stage I are permitted to appear for stage II. The details are - (a) Stage I comprises of Officer Intelligence Rating (OIR) tests are Picture Perception Description Test (PP&DT). The candidates will be shortlisted based on combination of performance in OIR Test and PP&DT. 21 (b) Stage II Comprises of Interview, Group Testing Officer Tasks, Psychology Tests and the Conference. These tests are conducted over 4 days.
The details of these tests are given on the website joinindianarmy.nic.in. The personality of a candidate is assessed by three different assessors viz. The Interviewing Officer (IO), Group Testing Officer (GTO) and the Psychologist.
There are no separate weightage for each test. The marks are allotted by assessors only after taking into consideration the performance of the candidate holistically in all the test. In addition, marks for Conference are also allotted based on the initial performance of the Candidate in the three techniques and decision of the Board. All these have equal weightage. The various tests of IO, GTO and Psych are designed to bring out the presence/absence of Officer Like Qualities and their trainability in a candidate. Accordingly candidates are Recommended or Not Recommended at the SSB. Form tips and strategies related to SSB Interview, refer to step 6 given below.
Step 4: Go through Previous Question Papers
Having understood the syllabus and the essential requirements to clear the NDA Exam, now the aspirants should go through the previous question papers, to understand the standard of the question papers and distribution of marks across various sections.
For NDA & NA Exam Previous Year Question Papers & Answers (2005-17), click here
Step 5: Read Study Material & Solve Practice Questions
Now, it’s time to read the study material. The aspirants should allocate more time to GAT study material and more importantly the GK Section of the paper as the test is of 600 marks. As the preparation progresses, the aspirants should solve practice questions and mock tests. For the benefit aspirants, we are providing study material and practice questions.
NDA Exam – General Knowledge Study Material
The following list contains all the important bilateral and multilateral Defence Exercises in which Indian takes participation. For the benefit of aspirants, the venue of recent exercises is also given. Aspirants should memorise them as they are frequently asked in the exam. For the list, click on the link given below.
Important current affairs related to – National, International and Sports are given here. Besides, they also contain important Persons in News. For the benefit of aspirants, they are arranged in one liners form for easy memorization and recall. For monthly wise current affairs, click on the below given links.
NDA & NA (II) 2017: Current Affairs Recap - April 2017
NDA & NA (II) 2017: Current Affairs Recap - May 2017
NDA & NA (II) 2017: Current Affairs Recap - June 2017
NDA & NA (II) 2017: Current Affairs Recap - July 2017
NDA & NA (II) 2017 Exam: Mathematics Practice Questions
This practice set contains questions on important topics like – Sets, linear equations and triangles.
Step 6: Preparation for SSB Interview
SSB Interview tests the personality of the candidates. It tests a range of skills of the candidates, including the ability to work in groups. The complete details related to the SSB Interview and the tips and strategies to crack the Interview are given below.
The above article provides the complete day-wise details of the 5-day SSB Interview. It also contains the tips and strategies to perform well in the SSB Interviw process.
The above article a list of Do’s and Don’ts in the 5-Day long SSB Interview process.
The above article contains the answers for the frequently asked questions related to the SSB Interview. The answers to the questions were provided by the Indian Army.
Step 7: Follow Tips & Strategies
For success in this competitive exam, it is not alone sufficient to study the reading material alone. The aspirants must know the other nuances of the examination process that will help them in reducing the chances of failure.
The above article contains a seven-step guide to succeed in the NDA & NA (II) 2017 Written Exam. The tips and strategies given here prepared by NDA Exam experts.
The above article contains a must-to-read list of books by NDA Exam aspirants.
The above article contains a strategy to effectively handle the GK Section of the General Ability Test of the NDA Exam.
The above article contains eight effective tips aimed at reducing negative marking in the NDA 2017 written exam.
The success in the NDA Exam depends on persistence in the preparation combined with a right strategy. On the basis of the above given seven steps, every aspirant should devise appropriate strategy for one self.
All the Best!!!!